CHICKEN STUFFED RAVIOLI WITH
Emilia - Romagna
CREAM AND BUTTER SAUCE
Preparation - Medium
Prep: 30 min -
Cook: 1 hour -
Total: 1 hour 30 min
Yield: Serves 4 - 6
First, make or buy the ravioli 'skins' - you can do a simple ravioli, or more challenging versions: Ravioli I, or Ravioli II
ORDER OF PREPARATION:
A. Make the filling and refrigerate.
B. Make the pasta dough and the ravioli.
C. Make the sauce and cook the ravioli.
- 1/2 10-ounce package (5 oz) frozen chopped spinach, cooked, squeezed dry, and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked, skinned, and finely chopped
- 2-3 slices mortadella or proscuitto, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated
- Parmesan cheese
- Chicken broth
Mixing bowl, chef's knife, alternate: food processor.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground white pepper
NOTE: To avoid all the chopping, the filling can be made in a food processor. Put all the ingredients, except the chicken broth, salt, and pepper, into the processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse 2 or 3 times in 4- to 5- second bursts. Scrape down the sides of the work bowl between pulses. Don't make the mixture too pasty or homogenized. You do not want to lose the identity of the ingredients. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the chicken broth if necessary. Mix thoroughly. Taste and add salt if necessary. Add pepper to taste.
- To make the filling: Combine the filling ingredients through the Parmesan in a mixing bowl and blend thoroughly. If the mixture is dry and too stiff, add some chicken broth to obtain a creamy consistency. Taste and add salt if necessary. Add pepper to taste. (See note.}
- Make the pasta dough and fill and seal the ravioli.
- To make the sauce: Use a pan large enough to hold the cooked ravioli (a 10- to 12-inch sauté pan). Over medium heat melt the butter but do not let it brown. Add the cream, stir thoroughly, and reduce slightly. The sauce can be set aside at this point until the ravioli are cooked. When the ravioli are cooked, add them to the cream and butter sauce. Turn the heat to medium. Add the Parmesan, the grated nutmeg, and the pepper. Gently toss and coat the ravioli with the sauce for 2 to 3 minutes as the sauce thickens slightly.
- Serve at once on individual serving plates or in a heated oval serving dish.
Pasquale Bruno, Jr.