EASY RICOTTA RECIPE
Prep:5, Cook:10, Chill: 1 hr
Preparation - Easy
Makes 2 cups
Making your own ricotta is easy and surprisingly delicious!
Large, heavy pot, large sieve, fine mesh cheesecloth, pot to set sieve in, covered storage container.
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP fresh lemon juice
Cookbook we like:
- IN heavy saucepan, bring milk, cream and salt to a rolling boil on medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
- ADD 3 TBSP lemon juice.
- REDUCE heat to low, simmer, stirring constantly until mixture curdles - 2 to 3 minutes.
- POUR mixture into cheesecloth-lined sieve.
- LET drain for an hour, until ricotta is firm.
- SPOON into container, cover, chill. Keeps up to two days.