Horiatike, Koriatiki, Khoriatike
Preparation - Easy
Change the quantities to suit your taste, and use the freshest and tastiest ingredients you can find. The Greek olives and feta cheese lend a special flavor.
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium green pepper, de-seeded, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, de-seeded, diced
- 2 medium to large ripe tomatoes, diced, or use cherry tomatoes cut in quarters
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium cucumber (about one cup), sliced (usually peel left on)
- (optional)some cos lettuce torn in 2" pieces (purists claim 'no lettuce' in khoriatike)
- 3/4 cup pitted black olives cut in half, preferably Greek kalamata
- 4 - 5 T olive oil
- 2 T lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- 1 T fresh oregano, chopped fine, or 1/2 t dried, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste (remember that the feta cheese and the olives can be salty)
- 2/3 package penne, bowties (picture) or similar pasta.
Large, non-reactive bowl(glass, stainless, enamel, clay)
PREPARE vegetables, cheese and olives, set aside.
COOK the pasta, drain well.Place the drained pasta in a large bowl. Dress the pasta while it is still warm with the olive oil, lemon or vinegar, salt and freshly ground pepper.
ADD vegetables to pasta, sprinkle with oregano to taste and toss well. Test for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.