MUSHROOMS WITH RICE
Risotto ai funghi
Frying pan, covered saucepan.
- 5 T butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry Italian white wine
- 1 t fresh thyme or oregano, finely chopped
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 5 to 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, bring the broth to a simmer and keep hot over very low heat.
- Sauté onion in the melted butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and the herbs and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the rice, and continue cooking, stirring for 3 minutes until well coated with the fat.
- Add the wine and simmer, stirring constantly, till absorbed by rice, about 2 minutes.
- Start adding the stock a cup at a time as per instructions for risotto till done.
- Turn off the heat. Add half the Parmesan, stir, cover and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Place on a warm serving platter.
- Pass the rest of the cheese at table.