RICE AND PEAS
Risi e bisi
Preparation - Easy
This is a fairly liquid rice dish, with the grains well separated. It has the consistency of a thick soup, not of a risotto.
Frying pan, heavy saucepan.
- 3 T (2oz/60g) butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 oz (60 g) pancetta or rindless bacon, chopped
- 4 cups (1 qt/1 L) meat broth (stock)
- l0 oz (315g) shelled, fresh peas
- 1 2/3 cups (lO oz/315 g) Arborio rice
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 oz/60 g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 T chopped parsley
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add onion and pancetta and cook until onion is translucent.
- Meanwhile, bring the broth to boil in a saucepan. Add the peas and rice to the bacon mixture and pour half the broth over.
- Gradually add almost all of the boiling broth and cook for 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper; stir in the Parmesan and enough additional broth so that the mixture is fairly liquid.
- Sprinkle with parsley and let rice rest for a couple of minutes away from the heat before serving.
Italy the Beautiful Cookbook