ITALIAN WEDDING SOUP WITH MEATBALLS, CHICKEN, ENDIVE AND ESCAROLE
Zuppa maritata II
Preparation - Medium; Prep: 30 - Cook: 2:00
Serves 4 - 6
For the meatballs:
For the soup:
- 1 lb ground beef, veal or pork, or mixed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 clove minced garlic, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Large soup pot, baking sheet.
- 1 chicken (cleaned: heart, liver, etc. removed), rinsed inside and out with cold water
- 2 heads of escarole, or 1 endive, 1 escarole
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped (you can use the tops for this)
- 1/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- IN a large, covered pot place chicken, chopped onion, celery and carrot with water to cover. Simmer 45-60 minutes until chicken is cooked.
- PREPARE the meatballs. Mix ground meat, egg, breadcrumbs, minced garlic and salt and pepper, adding a little water to moisten, if necessary. Shape into small balls. Bake in a 350F oven for 25 minutes or until browned.
- BOIL endive and escarole until tender. Drain the greens and set aside.
- REMOVE chicken and allow to cool. Bone the chicken and return chicken meat to the pot. Add meatballs and greens to the soup and heat. Serve with the grated Parmesan cheese.