LENTIL SOUP WITH PASTA RECIPE
Zuppa de lentiche con pasta
Preparation - Easy
Serves 4 - 6
Large, heavy saucepan.
- 1/2 lb dry lentils (better fresh, and 'green'), rinsed in cold water
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 TBSP tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup pasta, ditalini or other small pasta
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add onion, carrot and garlic and sauté over medium heat until transparent and soft.
- Add lentils and water to cover to a depth of about an inch.
- Simmer gently for about 1/2 hour till lentils are nearly cooked through -(more or less depending on type, size and age of lentils).
- Add tomato sauce and pasta and a little more water if need be, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer till pasta is cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Serve hot.