Maccheroni ai quattro formaggi
Naples - Campania
Preparation - Medium
Traditionally made with 4 cheeses, we have added a fifth, the Parmigiano, as a garnish.
- 3 1/2 oz. Gruyère cheese
- 3 1/2 oz. Gouda or any similar Dutch cheese
- 3 1/2 oz. Provolone or Chedder cheese
- 3 1/2 oz. Fontina cheese
- 2 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 TBSP (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 lb. Ziti, bucatini or similar pasta
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 6 quarts of water
DONE right, the cheeses in this dish each retain their original identity.
CUT the Gruyère, Gouda, Provolone and Fontina into strips the width of wooden matches.
BRING the salted pasta water to a boil, and cook the pasta.
MELT the butter in a double boiler, it should be very hot, but not boiling.
DRAIN the cooked pasta and place in a warm serving dish.
SPRINKLE the four cut cheeses over the still hot pasta.
POUR half the melted butter over the pasta and cheese.
SPRINKLE on the Parmesan cheese.
POUR the remaining melted butter over the dish and serve immediately.
<< PREVIOUS - BROWSE RECIPES - NEXT >>