FRYING OR BAKING TOFU
Prep:Easy, draining & tofu takes time.
Tofu tastes better in almost any dish if drained and baked or sauteéed before using in any dish.
- Tofu (firm or extra firm)
- Soy sauce
- Hot pepper flakes
SLICE tofu 1/2 inch thick.
DRAIN and COMPRESS by placing on lots of paper towels, or newspaper covered w/paper towel.
tray or board
WEIGH down w/a chooping board and water bottles or similar 30 - 45 minutes.
- HEAT 1 tbs sesame oil in large non stick skillet over medium heat (add pepper flakes, if desired).
- ADD tofu.
- SAUTE till golden brown and crisp on the outside. be sure to turn.
- REMOVE tofu cut into bite size pieces.
Marinating before cooking the tofu for a half hour or more enhances the flavor.
- 2 containers firm or extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 TBS fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- SLICE each block of tofu into 4 or 5 slices.
- IN a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, water, ginger, garlic and sesame oil. Pour mixture over each piece of tofu in a shallow bowl or pan, and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- PREHEAT the oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet. Carefully place each slice on the baking sheet and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- BAKE for 30 minutes, then rotate the sheet, if needed and drizzle with more marinade. Bake for another 15 minutes, or until liquid is almost dry.