GREEN BEANS IN TOMATO SAUCE RECIPE
Prep: 10; Cook: 1:15; Total Time: 1 hr 25 mins
Preparation: Easy; Vegetarian; Vegan
Yield: Serves 4 - 6
Delicious Middle Eastern dish.
Large, heavy saucepan with cover.
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans, preferably fresh Italian or broad beans
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 16 oz. can chopped or crushed tomatoes or, better still, 1 lb seeded and peeled fresh tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- A few grinds of a pepper mill
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- OR 3/4 tsp allspice
- WASH and trim beans, break into 2 or 3 pieces.
- DRY off on paper towel.
- HEAT olive oil over medium heat.
- WHEN hot add onions and sauté til soft and transparent, NOT browned, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- ADD green beans, spices and water.
- BRING to a simmer cover and simmer for 1/2 hours or till beans are nearly tender.
- ADD tomatoes; simmer a further 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- TASTE for seasoning and adjust.
- CHECK for doneness.
- SERVE at room temperature.
- Freezes well.