STUFFED SQUASH OR MARROWS RECIPE
Prep: 30 min
Cook: 1 hr 30 min
Total Time: 2 hours
A bit of work, but an interesting and tasty dish.INGREDIENTS:
Apple corer or similar to empty squash, heavy pot with tight-fitting lid for long, slow simmer to cook rice.
- 14 medium size marrow squash
- 1 cup coarsely ground lean beef or lamb meat
- meat bones, like rib bones, to cover bottom of cooking pot (optional but adds taste)
- 1 1/2 cups round (short grain) rice
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp bhar helou or allspice, or cinnamon
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (optional for thicker sauce)
- SCRUB squash and cut off tops.
- HOLLOW from one end with kousa corer, apple corer or small spoon.
- MIX rice, meat, seasoning and black pepper (salt later).
- LOOSELY stuff squash three-quarters full (rice expands as it cooks).
- LAY several meat bones on bottom pot, add chopped tomatoes and arrange stuffed squash in layers over tomatoes. If cooking without bones, be sure that simmer is very gently so as not to burn the squash.
- ADD tomato juice, water and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- BRING to a boil, reduce to very low simmer and cover.
- COOK for one hour or until squash is tender. You can cut one squash in half to be sure that the rice is cooked. Remove squash to warm plate, and set aside, continue to simmer sauce until it thickens to desired consistency usually quite thin, like a light gravy.
- SERVE kousa, serve the sauce in separate cup or gravy boat.