Chicken, Green Chile and Tortilla Casserole
Prep: 15 min; Cook: 30 min; Total Time: 45 min
Yield: Serves 4
Preparation - Medium
Great change-of-pace chicken meal.
One 2-quart baking dish.
- 2 Whole chicken breasts in bite-size pieces, leftover, grilled or broiled
- 6 Corn Tortillas
- 2 TBS (Tablespoon) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14.5 oz can tomatoes
- 1 7 oz can green chilies, cut in half lengthwise and spread open
- 3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese mixture or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 TBS Chili powder or more to taste
- 1 TBS Cumin
- 1/4 tsp (teaspoon) Pico di Gallo or 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- HEAT 1 TB olive oil in large non-stick skillet.
- ADD onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and pico di gallo or cayenne pepper if using
- COOK over medium high heat, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes
- POUR tomatoes and onion mixture into food processor
- PROCESS until smooth
- ADD 1 TBS olive oil to skillet
- ADD tomato/onion mixture
- SIMMER over medium-high heat stirring continuously until sauce has reduced by about a fourth, about 8 minutes.
- PREHEAT oven to 350 F
- PLACE 2 tortillas in shallow baking dish
- COVER (layer) with 1/3 tomato mixture
-1/3 sour cream
-1/2 the chicken
-All the chilies
- COVER with 2 more tortillas
- REPEAT above
- ADD the remaining 2 tortillas and the rest of the ingredients topping with the cheese
- COVER with tin foil and bake for approximately 1/2 hour removing foil the last five minutes
- PASS under broiler for a light brown crust.
- SERVE with sliced avocados, or a green salad.