FETTUCCINE ALFREDO RECIPE
with CHEESE, CREAM AND BUTTER
Rome - Lazio
Preparation - Medium
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 15 min
Total Time: 25 min
Yield: Serves 4
The quality and taste of the ingredients is the key to success with fettuccine Alfredo* recipe - especially the fettuccine and the cheese. The fettuccine should either be freshly made and as thin as possible, or, if store bought, the best fresh (not dry), thinnest pasta you can buy.
Pasta pot; pan large enough to hold all ingredients and pasta (we use a large non-stick wok for this).
- 10 oz fresh fettuccine or tagliatelle
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan), at room temperature, plus extra cheese to pass at the table
- 1 cup heavy cream, very lightly whipped - use half & half for lower calories
- Salt and freshly ground pepper (use white pepper if you have it)
- SET the pasta water to boil.
- TIMING is important with this dish - ideally the pasta finishes cooking when your sauce is ready - although the sauce will 'hold' for a short while on very low heat. If you are using fresh fettuccine, it can cook in as little as 2 minutes (plus the time it takes your water to boil), so you must prepare your ingredients accordingly. Fettuccine Alfredo is 'finished' in the pan - the cooked and drained pasta is added directly to the warmed and mixed ingredients in the pan.
- IN a pan large enough to hold all the pasta , melt the butter over low heat.
- ADD slowly the slightly whipped heavy cream and whisk either with a whisk or stir continuously with a wooden spoon till it is hot and slightly reduced. (variation: use 1/2 of the cream here, add the rest just at the end before you add the pasta.)
- ADD slowly the grated cheese as you continue stirring or whisking.
- COOK the pasta.
- ADD salt and pepper to taste.
- ADD the cooked and drained pasta. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- TURN into a warmed serving bowl, or directly onto warmed plates.
- PASS grated Parmesan at the table.