BAKED FETTUCINE WITH TOMATO, HERBS AND MOZZARELLA
Fettucine con salsa d'aromi
Abruzzi - Molise
Preparation - Medium
Serves 4 - 6
Large skillet, large oven-proof dish.
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 leaves fresh mint, finely chopped
- 8 fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
- 2 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 1-15 oz can tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 peperoncino, or 1/4 t chili flakes, more or less to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano (or other pecorino)
- 1/4 lb scamorza (you can substitute mozzarella)
- 1 lb fettuccine or tagliatelle
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté garlic till golden.
- Add basil, parsley, mint and peperoncino.
- Sauté a minute or two more.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salt, pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat (a fast bubble) stirring occasionally till sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring pot of water to the boil.
- Cook the pasta. Do not overcook; make sure it is al dente, with a bite.
- Preheat oven (while pasta cooks) to 425 F.
- When ready, drain the pasta very well, and mix with the sauce either in pan or in a bowl.
- Transfer all to an ovenproof dish. The Abruzzese like to use an earthenware pot.
- Sprinkle on the cheese and lay the slices of scamorza or mozzarella on top.
- Bake for a few minutes till cheese melts and bubbles.Serve hot.