HOT AND SOUR SOUP RECIPE
Prep: 20 min, Cook: 10 min
Preparation - Easy
Vegetarian (with veggie broth); Q&E
Use home made chicken broth, or best you can find.
Saucepan for soup, plate and cup for set-asides.
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, or equivalent of dried, soaked
- 1/4 pound spinach, chopped, or use frozen
- 2 green (spring) onions
- 3 TBSP light soy sauce
- 3 TBSP vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 TBSP sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 TBSP cornstarch (optional)
- 5 tablespoons water (if using cornstarch)
- 3/4 pound (12 ounces) tofu, drained and cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch chunks
- 2 TBSP coriander, chopped (optional, not traditional but tasty)
- WIPE mushrooms clean with damp paper towel. Slice thinly and set aside. Rinse fresh spinach in cold water, drain and set aside. Trim roots from onions and thinly slice, set aside.
- MIX soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, sesame oil and hot pepper sauce. Set aside.
- COMBINE broth, mushrooms and spinach in large pot. Simmer over medium heat 4 minutes.
- STIR soy sauce mixture into broth. Taste and add more soy sauce or hot sauce, if needed.
- OPTIONAL: MIX cornstarch and water and add to broth. Stir a couple of ninutes to blend.
- ADD tofu and continue to stir; cornstarch mixture will give a slight thickness to broth. Serve hot (or cold) with a sprinkle of chopped green onions (and optional coriander) on top. Pre-heat bowls if serving hot in winter.