KOFTA or KAFTA BI SANIYEH RECIPE
Kofta bi sanniyeh
Prep: 20 min; Cook: 1 hr; Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
Yield: Serves 6
Used to be prepared in the home and baked in the community oven with potatoes.
Food processor or good chef's knife for chopping onion, mint and parsley, large mixing bowl, large flat shallow baking dish or pan.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb or beef
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, parboiled and cut in quarter or thick slices
- 2 cups tightly-packed flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves or 1 tbs dry mint
- 1/3 cup unflavored bread crumbs
1 tsp bhar helou , allspice or a mixture of ground cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt , more to taste
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
- 2 TBS water
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F.
- PARBOIL the potatoes in boiling water for about 10 minutes - a fork penetrates, but with difficulty.
- IN a food processor, chop onion extremely fine. Add parsely and mint and until you have a fine - not liquified - homogeneous mixture.
- PLACE the ground lamb or beef in a large bowl.
- ADD the rest of the ingredients except for the potatoes.
- USING your hands mix ingredients well, form into a ball.
- POUR oil into a large and shallow sided baking dish.
- PLACE in oven till hot.
- PLACE meat in center of pan and pat down to a thickness of an inch or so, more if you like.
- PLACE sliced parboiled potatoes around meat.
- BAKE for 30-40 minutes till done to your taste.
- SERVE with laban khayar or a Middle Eastern tomato and cumber salad.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved