TABOULI; TABBOULEH SALAD RECIPE
Prep: 20 min Total time: 20 min
Yield: 4 - 6 servings
Delicious Middle Eastern salad or appetizer.INGREDIENTS:
- 3 cups of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh mint
- 4 or 5 finely chopped spring onions (with the green parts)
- 4 ripe, medium size tomatoes, chopped into small cubes
- 1 cup of medium burghul (cracked wheat)
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded, chopped fine (optional)
- 5 TBS good olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- RINSE burghul several times and then soak in cold water for about twenty minutes.
- CHOP the tomatoes (small dice).
- CLEAN the parsley and remove the large stems (you want mostly leaves). Chop fine.
- PUT the burghul in a sieve to drain.
- TRIM the spring onions, and chop them into 1/4" lengths.
- PUT the drained burghul and tomato in a large mixing or serving bowl. Add salt, pepper, allspice, lemon juice, olive oil, mint, parsley, and optional minced jalapeno.
- TASTE for seasoning. If too dry, you can add additional lemon juice.
- TOSS well. Tabouli benefits from resting - you can cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator for a few hours or over night, tossing occasionally.
- SERVE with cabbage or lettuce leaves - scoop some tabouli into a leaf and enjoy!