A Career in Culinary Arts?
You must be interested in the culinary arts field-or you wouldn't be reading this page, but are you sure that you'd be suited for it? Here's a quick quiz to help you decide. Jot down your answers to the following questions and then take a look at the paragraph following the
- (Y-N) Do you pay close attention to details?
- (Y-N) Do you hate shopping for groceries?
- (Y-N) Do you appreciate having variety in your work day?
- (Y-N) Do you prefer working alone to working with other people?
- (Y-N) Are you good at basic math?
- (Y-N) Do you have trouble working quickly in demanding atmospheres?
- (Y-N) Do you have strong physical stamina?
- (Y-N) Do you want a routine that is the same every day?
- (Y-N) Do you have good communication skills?
- (Y-N) Do you value a high level of privacy and quiet time when you are at work?
- (Y-N) Do you enjoy cooking meals for family or friends?
- (Y-N) Do you feel that weekends must be spent with your friends or family?
- (Y-N) Do your friends ask you to cook for them?
- (Y-N) Do you grow faint and listless when in an excessively hot environment?
- (Y-N) Have you ever asked someone for a copy of the recipe for a particular dish you enjoyed?
- (Y-N) Do you get extremely nervous when working under tight, stressful deadlines?
- (Y-N) Do you offen eat out in fancy restaurants?
- (Y-N) Do you have a hard time motivating yourself to do things?
- (Y-N) Do you watch one or more cooking shows per week on television?
Don't read this until you have done the quiz. If you answered yes to the majority of odd-numbered questions, and no to the majority of even-numbered questions, then you'll probably want to go full steam ahead towards a culinary arts career. However, if you answered yes to the majority of even-numbered questions, and no to the majority of odd-numbered questions, then you may want to consider a job in a field related to the culinary arts but not necessarily in the high-stress world of a professional kitchen. The Quiz is from this book, a great career starter:
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved