Fettucine al salmone
Preparation - EasyDelicate and tasty, good use for that salmon you have left over after the ball. Even better with fesh fettucine.
Large sauté pan*, pasta pot.
- l lb fettucine, fresh if possible
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1/2 small onion (or a shallot), finely chopped
- 5 oz smoked salmon, coarsley chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream; you can substitute half & half for a lighter but just as tasty result
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- parsley, Italian (optional)
THIS dish is best when the sauce is ready just as the pasta finishes cooking (6-10 mins).
PUT the pasta water to boil and prepare the ingredients. Cook the pasta.
IN your favorite heavy pan, melt the butter and saute the chopped onion until it is soft and transparent but has not changed color. Add half the chopped smoked salmon and the cream.
WARM the mixture gently, blending thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
WHEN the pasta is cooked, drain well.
POUR the pasta and turn into a warm serving bowl. Add the cream and salmon sauce. Stir thoroughly and add a little freshly ground black pepper. Gently stir in the salmon strips, sprinkle on a pinch of parsley (optional) and serve at once. May not need salt, depending on the salmon.
*NOTE: You can also 'pan finish' this dish, by using a sauté pan large enough to contain the pasta, and adding the cooked and drained pasta to the sauce in the pan.