BRAISED SHORT RIBS RECIPE
Preparation - Easy
Unlike many other strong meats, short ribs respond well to whatever flavorings you want to add. Morel or porcini mushrooms extend the ribs' rich beefiness.INGREDIENTS:
- 6 pounds short ribs, about 6(10-inch) pieces
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garlic powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 cups dry whitewine
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 9 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3 sprigs thyme
- THE day before cooking. season the ribs with the salt, pepper and garllc powder. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- HEAT the oven to 325 degrees.
- ON the stove top, heat the olive oil in a roasting pan over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the ribs and brown on all sides, about 1 minute per side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- DISCARD all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pan. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the wine, vinegar, broth, thyme and bay leaf. Stir in the mushrooms. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- RETURN the ribs to the pan, cover with foil and braise in the oven for 1 hour. Remove the foil, cover and cook 3 more hours... turn the ribs after 1 1/2 hours, and check for liquid. Remove cover for last half hour to reduce liquid if desired. When done, meat is very tender and falling off the bone.
TO serve: remove the ribs from the braising liquid and divide among 6 warm, shallow bowls. (Leave the bones for a dramatic presentation.) Remove the mushrooms and reserve. Strain the braising liquid, discarding the solids. Spoon off and discard the fat from the liquid. Add the reserved mushrooms and pass as a sauce. Great with mashed potatoes.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved