Spaghetti alla carrettiera
SPAGHETTI WITH FRESH BASIL AND TOMATO
Roma - Lazio
Preparation - Easy
Quick and easy Roman dish, great in spring with fresh tomatoes and basil.
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, washed and shredded fine
- 1 14-oz can Italian plum tomatoes (or crushed), drained and chopped - or use fresh tomatoes peeled and seeded
- 4 - 5 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 T olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti or spaghettini
- 6 quarts water
SET the pasta water to boil.
SHRED the basil by hand. Do not use a knife as it will bruise the basil.
HEAT the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
ADD the garlic and sauté for 1 or 2 minutes. Do not brown. (for a different taste, do not saute the chopped garlic but add with the tomatoes and basil, next step)
ADD the tomatoes, and the basil and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon making sure the sauce does not dry out. Add a tiny bit of water from the pasta cooking water if needed. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
MEANWHILE cook the pasta.
DRAIN pasta, and place in a warm bowl or, pour directly into pan in which sauce is cooking, (if it is large enough to hold all).Mix well and serve.
Hint: For a bit of zing add a tiny piece of chili pepper or some red pepper flakes.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved