RICE AND SPINACH CAKE
Preparation - Medium
- 1 pound fresh or 10 ounces frozen whole-leaf spinach
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan
- A good pinch of nutmeg
- WASH the spinach and remove the stems.
- COOK until it softens (frozen spinach needs only to be defrosted), then drain well and chop fine.
- BOIL the rice in salted water for about 10 minutes until nearly done, throw the spinach in with the rice, stir well and drain at once.
- FRY the onion in oil until golden and put it in a bowl with the rice and spinach. Add the butter, eggs and cheese, pepper and nutmeg. Mix well and press into a buttered nonstick mold or cake tin.
- BAKE in a 400 degrees F oven for about 25 minutes, or until golden.
- TURN out and serve hot. It is also good cold.
VARIATION: For preboggion (mixed greens/herbs) con riso, add a bunch of chopped herbs such as mint, basil, marjoram, oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley and 1 or 2 crushed cloves of garlic with the spinach.
THE GOOD FOOD OF ITALY
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved