TURKEY CHILI RECIPE
Prep: 15 min; Cook: 2 hrs or more; Total Time: 2 hr 15 min
Preparation - Easy
Yield: Serves 6
Surprisingly tasty variation - also make with finely chopped leftover turkey!INGREDIENTS:
- 2 TBSP Vegetable oil
- 1 chopped green bell pepper (1 medium-sized pepper, seeded)
- 1 7 oz. can whole roasted green chillies, chopped (hispanic section of your grocery store, more or less to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion (a small onion)
- 1 1/2 lbs coarsley ground turkey
- 3 16 oz (small) cans kidney or pinto beans, or mixed, drained
- 1/2 tsp oregano or thyme
- 1 1/2 TBSP chili powder or 1 packet chili mix
- 1/3 tsp chipotle paste (adds smokey flavor, more or less to taste, optional)
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 1 TBSP tomato paste diluted in 1/2 cup water
- 1 14 1/2 oz can chopped tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (start with 1/2 tsp salt... amount depends on your ingredients)
- HEAT vegetable oil in a large skillet or saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients.
- ADD bell pepper, garlic and onion.
- SAUTÉ over medium heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally until onion is translucent NOT gold or brown.
- REMOVE and set aside.
- ADD turkey breaking up meat with a spoon.
- SAUTÉ til meat changes color (light tan) and water evaporates (about 10 minutes)- just heat through if using leftover turkey.
- SPRINKLE meat with chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt
- STIR for a minute or two.
- RETURN sauteed pepper, garlic and onion mixture to pot.
- ADD 3 16 ounce cans kidney beans, or kidney and pinto beans.
- ADD the tomato paste and chopped tomatoes.
- BRING to a slow simmer, stir and cover.
- COOK for at least 1 hour, the longer the more the flavors will combine. Stir occasionally adding water or broth if needed, you want mixture to be quite moist.
- Can be cooked ahead of time and reheated. In fact best done that way.
- Freezes well.
- Serve with shredded cabbage sprinkle w/salt and lime or lemon juice
- Chopped cilantro
- Avocado wedges
Cookbook we like:
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved