TURKEY STUFFING RECIPE
Prep: 30 min; Cook: 30 min; Total Time: 1hr
Preparation - Medium
Yield: Serves 8
Tasty stuffing with dried fruit and chestnuts to go with roast turkey.INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, prunes or cherries or a combination, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chestnut meats; available either frozen or unsweetened and canned (may be omitted)
- 4 TBSP (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 15-ounce package unseasoned bread stuffing or a 1 lb loaf of French, Italian or whitebread cut in 1/4-inch cubes and lightly toasted on baking sheet in oven on low heat
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 TBSP fresh thyme leaves chopped or 1 tsp dry (if bread/stuffing is seasoned, omit)
- Freshly ground black pepper 3 - 4 grinds or 1/4 tsp
- 1 large egg (optional)
- COARSELY chop the chestnuts.
- MELT 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet.
- COOK the celery, onion, and shallots over medium heat until greens are wilted, 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- ADD 1 cup of the stock and cook until the liquid has almost evaporated.
- PLACE bread cubes in a very large bowl.
- ADD all ingredients and toss with a wooden spoon or use your hands.
- BREAK in the egg.
- ADD the remaining stock.
- USING your hands, combine all ingredients thoroughly and season with salt and freshly ground pepper salt sand pepper. (The stuffing can be prepared up to this point a day in advance, but remove it from the refrigerator 4 hours before serving time.)
- MAKE sure the stuffing is cool before placing inside the bird.
Cookbook we like:
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved