CHILI RECIPE WITH MEAT
Preparation - Easy
Prep: 15; Cook 1 hr, more if you have it.
Serves 4 or more, freezes well
Chili is a nice and satisfing change - easy to prepare (although the longer it sits the better it gets), good for lunch or dinner or even a snack, and freezes well. This is the version with meat, here is the version without meat.
You can alter the ingredients to what is available and your own taste.
- 1 small (13 oz) can pinto beans
- 1 small can kidney beans, or any combination
- 1 small can plum tomatoes (optional)
- 1/2 lb ground beef (more to taste)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 TBSP canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken, beef, or vegetable stock, or water
- 1 fresh or dried hot chile, seeded, stemmed, and minced, or to taste (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (optional) OR 2 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste (optional) and 1 teaspoon oregano minced fresh leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- Minced cilantro leaves for garnish
- IN stewpot, sautee onions and garlic in TBSP of vegetable oil until transparent.
- ADD the (optional) chili pepper.
- ADD the meat and break into small bits. Sautee until brown.
- ADD the beans.
- ADD the spices, stir.
- ADD broth or water. Cook covered for 1/2 hour (longer on low heat if you want the ingredients to 'meld' as in a stew). Cook, uncovered, until chili is desired thickness.
- SERVE with tortillas, optional shredded manchego or monterey, or grated parmesan cheese. You can also put an egg on top.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved