RADICCHIO WITH RICE
Risotto con radicchio
Venice - Veneto
Preparation - Medium
As with all risottos, the ingredients must be of the best quality.
Saucepan for broth, Heavy saucepan (sauté)
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 T butter, oil or a mixture of the two
- 2 1/2 cups radicchio, washed, dried and finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 t fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 T fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring the broth to a simmer and keep hot over very low heat.
- Sauté onion in heated fat in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the rice, and continue cooking, stirring for 3 minutes until well coated with the fat.
- Add the wine and simmer, stirring constantly, till absorbed by rice, about 2 minutes.
- Start adding the stock a cup at a time as per instructions for risotto.
- When risotto is just about done, add 2 cups of radicchio, the parsley and thyme.
- Stir; simmer for a further 3 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning adding salt and pepper to taste, bearing in mind the Parmesan is a little salty.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add half the Parmesan, stir, cover and let sit for 3 minutes.
- Place on a warm serving platter, sprinkling the rest of the radicchio over the rice.
Pass the rest of the Parmesan at table.
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved