Preparation - Easy
Serve these as part of an antipasto or on their own as an appetizer or salad. They are very pretty and simple to make. Oregano can be used instead of basil.
- 6 large peppers of different colors-red, green, yellow, if available
- About 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thickly sliced
- Handful of fresh basil or parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
1. Roast the peppers on a cookie sheet or in a pizza pan for 20 minutes in a 400 degrees F (200 deg C) oven. Turn and roast for another 20 minutes. They will look slightly burned, with wrinkled skins.
2. Remove the peppers from the oven and wrap individually in aluminum foil and set aside for 20 minutes or so. (When cooled the skins will peel off easily.)
3. Remove all skin and seeds and slice the peppers into strips 3/4 inch (2 cm) thin. Place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with olive oil to taste. Add the garlic and basil or parsley, mix gently, and serve.
NOTE: These peppers should be stored in a cool place, not in the refrigerator. They will keep for several days.
Italian Cooking in the Grand Tradition
Jo Bettoja and Anna Maria Cornetto
The Dial Press
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved