SEAFOOD LASAGNA - SHRIMP, CRAB AND SCALLOPS IN WHITE SAUCE
Serves 4 - 6
A delicious dish that can be prepared ahead.INGREDIENTS:
- 1 lb shrimp (2 cups) medium size (frozen shrimp, should be thoroughly defrosted and dried off on paper towels before sautéeing) - you can also use crab, scallops, etc.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 scallions cut in 1/2 inch pieces (greens included)
- 2 T parsley, chopped
- 1 T butter
- 1 1/2 cups béchamel (when making sauce use only 1 cup milk)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- few threads saffron
- cayenne pepper, (optional, to taste)
- 3/4 cup Fontina, provolone and mozzarella cheese mix , shredded
- 1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 8 lasagna sheets, cooked 'al dente' (we have not had success with pre-cooked)
- salt and ground black pepper
- PREHEAT oven to 375 deg. F.
- IN a saucepan, melt 1 T of the butter, sauté the garlic until transparent - do not brown or burn.
- ADD the shrimp and toss over high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- ADD scallions and parsley, stir and continue cooking till shrimp lose their transparency.
- REMOVE from heat and set aside.
- PREPARE the bechamel using just 1 cup of milk as you will be adding the cream and white wine to it.
- WHEN béchamel is ready, stir in the cream, wine, saffron,cayenne and salt and pepper to taste, blend thoroughly and remove the sauce from the heat.
- SPREAD about a third of the sauce over the bottom of an 8 x 10 or round pie pan.
- SPRINKLE 1/2 the cheese mixture Fontina/mozzarella over the sauce.
- SCATTER about half the shellfish evenly over the cheese.
- COVER with half the lasagna sheets. Repeat the layers finishing with the last sheets of lasagna.
- COVER with the remaining sauce and Parmesan and a few threads of saffron.
- The layers, from the bottom:
Parmesan (and some ground black pepper if you wish)
- BAKE for 30-40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown (keep and eye on it, you don't want the top to burn).
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved