FETTUCCINE WITH MUSHROOMS, PROSCUITTO,
PEAS AND CREAM
Preparation - Medium
This is fairly standard pasta all over Italy, but it is so good that we have it often in our houses. It's also very simple to prepare.INGREDIENTS:
- 10 oz (285 g) mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 7 T unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 4 ounces (115 g) prosciutto, in julienne strips
- 3/4 t coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh fettuccine
- 6 T Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 T heavy cream, or as needed
- Bring 5 quarts (4 3/4 L) and 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt to a boil in a large pasta pot.
- Sauté the mushrooms in 5 tablespoons of the butter until they exude liquid. Turn up the heat and cook for 5 or 6 minutes.
- Cook the peas in the boiling water. As soon as they surface, cook for 3 minutes, then remove with a sieve and add to the mushrooms.
- Add the prosciutto.
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium flame, then season with the salt and pepper.
- Put the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the bowl in which you will mix the pasta and put the bowl on top of the pot of boiling water.
- As soon as the butter has melted, remove the bowl.
- Boil the fettuccine until al dente.
- Add 1 cup of cold water to stop the cooking process, then drain the pasta and mix in the heated bowl with butter and the Parmesan.
- Add the mushroom mixture and the cream.
- (This pasta must not be dry. If necessary, add another teaspoon of cream.) Serve immediately.
Italian Cooking in the Grand Tradition
Jo Bettoja and Anna Maria Cornetto
The Dial Press
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved