CHICKEN BAKED WITH ONIONS AND SUMAC
ON BREAD RECIPE - MUSAKHAN
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
Yield: Serves 8
Traditional Palestinian dish - reminds me of beduin 'mansaf' in presentation. Delicious!
- 2 chickens, each cut in 6 or 8 pieces
- 2 cups olive oil
- 4 large loaves pita bread
- 6 chopped onions
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup pine nuts
- I tsp saffron
- 3 TBSP ground sumac*
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- PREHEAT oven to 350 deg. F. Rub the chicken pieces with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in a baking dish surrounded with chopped onions and water. Cook for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- MEANWHILE, lightly brown the pine nuts in butter (or olive oil) and cook the onion in olive oil until soft and brown; combine onions and pine nuts. Sprinkle the chicken with olive oil and cover with a mixture of pine nuts, saffron, sumac, and paprika.
- AFTER 30 minutes, transfer the cooked chicken to the top of the bread which should have been soaked in olive oil and arrayed on a large, oven-proof platter. Broil the chicken and bread, covered with the spices and pine nuts, for about 5 minutes. Serve and eat with fingers.
*Sumac: Rhus coriaria; Rh. glabra; Rh. aromatica - a sour spice, also used by the Indians of North America to make sour drinks.
Sources for spices...
Copyright © 2000,2012 e-rcps.com, All Rights Reserved